[Zope] ZStylesheet

Martijn Pieters mj@digicool.com
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 21:55:01 +0200

On Sat, Jul 15, 2000 at 09:40:58PM +0200, Neil Burnett wrote:
> Warning: This is a 'get it off my chest' e-mail.
>
> Well, I am going to give up with CSS. I am sure ZStylesheet is a fine
> product, its just that CSS implementations lets it down.
>
> I have struggled for ages to get anything more sophisticated than
> font-family* to work on both IE5 and Netscape 4.6 - no chance. It seems
> they have both implemented CSS from a different hymn sheet :-( Basically,
> nothing to do with sizes works the same, and it boils down to Netscape
> ignoring the inheritance model of CSS. table rows and cells are a
> particular mystery.
>
> If anyone has cracked it and has developed a ZStylesheet which can second
> guess both browsers, please let me know. Until then, I will go back to
> using <font size="12pt"> or whatever. Shame, but I have more interesting
> things to worry about.

CSS in current 4.x and IE 5 is a nightmare. There are lobying groups you can
join, like the web standard initiative.

Mozilla does an excellent job of fully implementing CSS1, and practically all
of CSS2 as well. Opera also has a good stab at it, all the test pages list
that as a good 2nd. Until Netscape 6 is out (based on Moz), don't count on CSS
being all that useful.

--
Martijn Pieters