[Zope] suggestions for what to run in front of ZEO'ed zopes for failover?

Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:48:01 +0100

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:12:33 -0600, Bill Anderson <bill@libc.org>
wrote:

>Roman Milner wrote:
>>
>> I'm wondering if anyone can suggest something good to run in front of
>> 2 zopes talking to a zeo server - for failover and load balancing.  I
>> have been using a tool called 'balance' which works really well - but
>> for failover it only works if the socket to one of the zope servers
>> doesn't connect.
>>
>> We occasionally have a situation where the socket will still answer
>> but the zope server hanges and never returns an answer.  So, I'm
>> looking for something with configurable timeouts on responses.  Does
>> any one know of anything like that?
>

>You didn't specify the platform, so I'll suggest a nice, cost-effective
>one:
>Linux with IPVS (IP Virtual Server). www.linux-ha.com has more
>information.

That looks good on paper, and I may be setting up a trial system next
month.

One disadvantage is that solution is that each Zope will have poor
locality-of-reference within the object database. I think I can avoid
that using a squid redirector (www.squid-cache.org). Ill post any
news.

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com