[Zope] Who is uid 506?

Gregory Haley ghaley@venaca.com
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:36:08 -0400

Hi,

Take a look at your /etc/passwd file.  You will notice that system user
ids are 0 - ?, then there are other user id's, the first actual user is
assigned uid of 500, for me, 500 is my own user account.  If you add a
user zope, you can assign it a uid by hand, or it will assign the next
available uid in the list.

On some systems, though, zope will not run unless it has the owner and
group set to nobody, which has a uid of 99 -- if your install assigned a
uid of 506, it might be that this was assigned to someone who built the
installation you have, but when you uncompressed it, etc, there are not
enough users in your passwd file so that a user id (name) is actually
assigned the UID of 506.  I think it would be better to run a command
such as:

$ chown -R nobody.nobody * in your /opt/zope/ directory.  This will
recurssively change all the subdirectories and files.  On my localhost
installation, I actually use nobody.wheel as the owner and group, since
I am in the wheel group, i can edit the files, but only root can delete
or screw with the directories.

In a terribly verbose way, don't create a zope user uid of 506, but
change the owner/group to something that will be secure from crackers
and other crooks.

HTH.

ciao!
greg.