[Zope] V2.2

J. Michael Mc Kay admin@ihosts.net
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:42:27 -0400

I see the ownership tab in the new Zope.  Where can I find some more info on
this.  Currently my setup says Zope has no owner.

Apparently it needs one....

----- Original Message -----
From: "Oleg Broytmann" <phd@phd.russ.ru>
To: "JŪrgen Skogstad" <jorgen.skogstad@c2i.net>
Cc: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2000 4:37 AM
Subject: [Zope] Re: SV: [Zope] Q: Link status/checking

Hi!

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, JŪrgen Skogstad wrote:
> Sure! I just did a quick read through of the url you posted and it
> looks to me that you've started with what I want. I am very interested
> in getting this to work within the Zope framework as well.. with
> Sql support etc. as I am doing a project that would require "robotic"
> features! ;) Don't we just hate manual labour. ;)

   Well, the weakiest point in my programs is that these programs operate
on the whole tree at once. This isn't a problem for my small database of
URLs - there are about 3000 URLs in my bookmarks; but certainly will bring
problems for those who would like to have a bigger DB.

   What I feel is that Zope is not by itself the way to go. It is hard to
store the entire URLs tree in Zope and operate via XML-RPC or whatever. I
thing much better approach will be to store the tree in separate database
(SQL, e.g.) and connect both the robot and Zope to the DB.

   While we are on subjject - I think about version 4 of the project. I
want to define clear APIs for database plugins (including the possibility
to operate on a part of DB, down to one URL at at time :) and robots; and
remove writers plugins entirely - writers are just storage managers,
actually.
   It is interesting, whow in time Andrew Kuchling announced Oedipus. His
announcement came few days after I realized that I need API to operate on a
part of DB and started to think about version 4.
   http://oedipus.sourceforge.net/
We need a DB plugin to connect my robot to Oedipus; and Zope Product...

----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies
phd@phd.russ.ru