[Zope] Too many Roles?

Stuart 'Zen' Bishop zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 19:26:55 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, David Ornstein wrote:

> [...]

Nah.

Note that you need to create roles at a point in the tree, and they
then appear and are usable on the management interfaces from that point
down.

I have to restrict access to resources by student subject or course.
I'm currently only using about 60, but its quite possible I'll quickly
end up in in the hundreds when more students start using Zope resources.
The trick is to only 'create' the role when you need to grant rights
to it. A role exists only in the point in the tree it is created and
down, and there is nothing to stop you creating the same role in
multiple locations. If you create them all in your root folder, your
security screens become useless, but it is fine if you only have
5-10 defined at any particular point.

--
Stuart Bishop                          Work: zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
Senior Systems Alchemist               Play: zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au