[Zope] load-balancing recommendations ? (configuration and hardware)

Sun, 11 Jun 2000 12:37:26 +1000

>>> chas wrote
> I've often heard about the infinite-scalability that will
> be created by something like ZEO and I've always wondered
> about one thing : how is the load-balancing being done ?

There's a number of approaches you can take here:

1. Buy something - a cisco localdirector, an arrowpoint (also now owned
by cisco), or similar. This is the approach we take - in a past life I've
seen an LD get the absolute crap kicked out of it and it just kept working
(it was in front of some _large_ proxy caches).
www.cisco.com
www.arrowpoint.com

2. Software - there's linux virtual server, there's eddieware, there's
probably a bunch of commercial packages as well, although I don't know
why you'd bother...
www.linuxvirtualserver.org
www.eddieware.org

Which of these solutions you go for largely depends on your budget - the
first set of options are probably more robust and flexible, but the latter
is definately going to be cheaper :)

Anthony