[Zope] Costs of implementation

Dan Rusch drusch@globalcrossing.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:36:16 -0500

I think that the timeline J provided is unrealistically optimistic. The amount
of time it will take someone to go from 0 to Zope varies wildly. We have had
developers come in and in a matter of a few days they are very productive.
Others take much longer. Several things affect this. Someone to show you the
ropes being primary. Previous knowledge, especially in OOP and in python or
pythonish language, is also crucial.

So how long depends on you. If you don't have someone who knows Zope and python
expect to struggle up the near vertical learning curve of Zope. After helping
to train several people on Zope I would recommend not reading any Zope
documentation until after you understand python. In other words, learn the
basics of python first. Know what a list, dictionary and tuple are and their
syntax and operations and many of the mysteries of Zope will be cleared up
(i.e. when do you need tics instead of quotes etc.). After garnishing a working
knowledge (you don't need to be a Zen master of python) of python ,then read
the Zope documentation and start working in Zope.

Just my experience working with newbies.....

Dan