[Zope] LoginManager HOWTO?

Cesar A. K. Grossmann cesar@rotnet.com.br
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 19:34:25 -0400

Hi!

I'm trying to produce a web site with user authentication, and was
looking for something more customizable than the standard user
authentication mechanism provided by Zope.

My first step was look in the Zope page, making a search on the term
'authentication'. I found three products: UserDB, GenericUserFolder, and
LoginManager.

Reading the page at the UserDB I found the bellow:

"Update (10/30/99): Zen has posted a product that has more functionality
than UserDB, called GenericUserFolder. "

Well, looks like the GenericUserFolder is more advanced. So I go to its
page. In it there are another observation:

"Deprecated
This product is being deprecated in favor of the LoginManager.
LoginManager is what I like to believe that GUF would have been if I
didn't have to write it in a hurry."

Well, the next step is going to the LoginManager and try to figure out
how to install it and put it in my web site. I get the package (I'm
using the Linux version of Zope, in a Conectiva Linux 4.2 - like Red Hat
6.x -, installed from the rpm packages found in the Zope site), and,
after some troubles to make ZPatterns fully functional, I get it
installed. So now? No HOWTO explaining how to put it to run. Well, go to
the mailing list, and search old messages. No one helps me...

I'm looking for a sequence of steps needed to configure and use the
LoginManager. How to add users? How to add local roles? How to integrate
it whith LDAP (not for now, but in the future)? How to use a RDBMS
server, like PostgreSQL, to store the accounts (in case I cannot put
LDAP up an running)?

I'm not a Python programmer, and I have a limited knowledge of Zope and
DTML, and my english is only better than your portuguese...

TIA
--
César A. K. Grossmann
ckant@usa.net