[Zope] newbie changingover to zope from html/cgi??

Richard Folwell richard@folwell.com
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 19:19:14 +0100

Hi Rajil,

>  I want to transfer a whole website containg javascript/html/cgi on
>  zope. how do i do it. is it possible.

You would have to re-write the scripts, using DTML/Python as appropriate.  The HTML remains the
same.

>  Do i need to have zope on the ISP for my zope website to run.

Yes.

>  I only have ftp access on my ISP. Which files should i transfer so that
>  the zope application works. btw i couldnot locate the files/database on my
>  system about the webiste i am building. where is the database for the
>  application kept.

You will definitely need an ISP that provides Zope support before you can do this.  The Zope
database is normally:

<your Zope root>/var/Data.fs

>  I donot know python but do know perl, can i add modules to zope in perl.

There are plans to provide Perl support, but this is for the future.  For the moment learn Python -
if you already know Perl then it will be straightforward, since they cover similar territory.
Python has some advantages over Perl, particularly for larger development works.

Hope that helps,

Richard