[Zope] Re: LocalFS w/ annotation data

Dan L. Pierson dan@sol.control.com
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:51:23 -0400 (EDT)

Jonothan Farr writes:
 > That sounds like a mess. LocalDirectory objects are not persistent, they are
 > created each time they are requested. So you'll have nowhere to put your
 > PersistentMappings except in the top-level LocalFS object. Trying to make the
 > LocalDirectories persistent would be painful. For one, it would be hard to keep
 > in synch with the file system. You could store everything in a PM at the top and
 > use paths relative to the base but that would make copy,rename,etc. also messy,
 > like you said.

I was planning to put the only top level PersistentMapping in the
LocalFS object, all the others would be values in it.  Still, you're
right, it's not pretty.

 > What about just storing your meta-data in files in the local file system? Then
 > you wouldn't need to modify the LocalFS product at all. Just write a ZClass that
 > can read/write you meta-data file format.

Might well be a better approach.  I'll think about it.  Unfortunately,
it doesn't remove the need for automatically handling move, copy and
rename, since these files wouldn't be visible to the normal archive users.