[Zope] Fwd: Re: [Zope] html templates?

Curtis Maloney curtis@umd.com.au
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:42:53 +1000

Subject: Re: [Zope] html templates?
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:51:17 +0200
From: cs@comlounge.net (Christian Scholz)
To: Curtis Maloney <curtis@umd.com.au>

Hi!

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 11:50:03AM +1000, Curtis Maloney wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Christian Scholz wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Reading some of the recent mails of the Zope mailing lists I wonder
> > how people would think of the following:
> >
> > Imagine writing simple html templates with some custom tags which are
> > quite abstract like <addresslist>. Then write some Python Product (or
> > there might be one Product to make this happen a little simpler) which
> > implements these tags.
>
> Well.. funny you should mention this.
>
> I have been implementing just such a thing for our company web site
> (currently being zopified :)

Well, I've also done such a thing before as said in my mail, just not
with Zope.. ;-)

> It uses XML, but also allows you to fall back to HTML (so long as it's XML
> compliant... easy to do).

Well, this shouldn't be a difference also in my system..

> After recent discussions with my Zope mentor, I am going to try to
> reconstruct the whole thing to allow local tag sets to be specified in each
> document.

Well, I have these in my templates.. Thus I can use <name> in different
contests.

> > - Separate programming logic from layout.
>
> Erm... wasn't that one of the primary designs of HTML? (o8

Hm, no, it was separating the visual represenation from the logical
structure. That's what XML is now good for (and better working as no
browser has predefined visual elements for xml tags and of course
as xml tags are not predefined..)

> > Of course you will have to write the tag implementations in Python but
> > actually I see this as advantage.. ;-)
>
> Ermm.. no.. I've done all of mine in DTML.

Maybe both should then be possible. But I actually like to use
a real programming language.. Some things are quite difficult
to do in DTML. The only problem was before that for writing products
you needed to restart Zope all the time but with the Refresh Product
this is not needed anymore..

> > (as I sooner or later will implement this also in Python. After fiddling
> > around a bit with ZClasses and generating the forms and error handling by
> > hand..)
>
> Hmm... well, once I've had time to put some more work on this, I'll be
> happy to send you my code...

And I can send you mine when I've done it.. Maybe it's only porting
htmlPARSER to Zope.. We'll see.. :)

Nice to hear that someone else is also interested :)

greetings!

Christian

PS: Maybe you should also send your reply to the Zope list to find
some more interested people.. ;-)

--
COM.lounge                                          http://comlounge.net/
communication & design                                 info@comlounge.net