[Zope] Prototyped folders?

Hamish Lawson hamish_lawson@yahoo.co.uk
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 23:46:50 +0100 (BST)

If a folder doesn't itself contain a required object or method, I'd
like to have another folder looked in instead. The fall-back folder
won't necessarily (and often can't) be higher in the hierarchy, so
acquisition doesn't seem to be a solution. Inheritance from a folderish
class seems to be one solution, but I fear this might lead to an
explosion of classes. The answer I think I need is to have a protoype
mechanism (similar to that used in JavaScript and Self). A folder with
the requirement to have its missing methods looked for elsewhere would
be created as an instance of (say) PrototypedFolder with a pointer to
the folder it wanted to use as a prototype. Does such a mechanism exist
for Zope?

Hamish Lawson
University of St Andrews, Scotland