[Zope] Data.fs.lock?

Erik Enge erik@src.no
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:56:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Chris Withers wrote:

> Would this whole problem go away if Zope had a 'backup data.fs' funcion
> internally that could keep all transactions in memory while the
> appopriate files were copied?

It would, but keeping it in memory would be a bad thing.  Say your data.fs
file was 10GB large, and it took 4 hours to back it up, and you only had
X amount of RAM - then it would begin swapping after some time.  Now that
would be ugly :-).

One could possibly have a function that put new transactions in a new
file, and then - when told it was ok to do so - it could update the
regular data.fs file.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, this could be something to put in ZEO?