[Zope] GOOD

Peter Bengtsson peter@grenna.net
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:16:16 +0100

> Zope Team should incorporate that software into Zope too. As well as
> they should put their "Available Object" white box, you know what I mean
> ? ->ABOVE<- the files. See, when you have 900 files in one directory,
> you need to scroll down each time.. so I suggest to put that box, you
> know the box I mean ? Place it at the top of the page.

Well, GOOD use of Zope is not to have 900 files in one directory, but to use
acquisition and different folders for different objects or projects or
sites.
When I work with the Zope interface I realize that I spend more time on
clicking the objects than the "Available Object" white box.

What you could do is copy the HTML code to the "Available Object" white box
and implement that into the menu (menu.dtml).
Use some extra javascript to ensure that the focus is put in the workspace
frame.

A GOOD thing about Zope being Open Source is that you can tamper the
interface for your needs if you want to.

Me, for example, have created a list of all objects (not only the folders)
below the tree in the menu frame. And I have the title of the object pop up
in the status row of the browser.
The purpose of that was that I sometimes forget what I named the object I
created, when I am about to use it in a method of document in another
folder.

Even simpler would be to change the HTML source of the management interface
yourself and cut'n'paste the "Available Object" white box above the list of
objects.