[Zope] Reply To:

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Wed, 01 Mar 2000 22:53:33 -0800

On Thu,  2 Mar 2000 18:09:46 +1300 (NZDT)
John Morton <jwm@plain.co.nz> wrote:

> The Reply-To field is intended to be a way for you to indicate the
> email address that you can be contacted with when the one your
> sending from doesn't necessarily receive email - ie, you're
> migrating between accounts, or posting to a publicly accessible
> list from an account that isn't receiving email from that
> list. Whatever. The point is that we want to keep people's
> reply-to fields where possible.

A small note: Given a message with a CC list list _and_ a Reply-To
set, a group reply on Many (even most?) MUAs will send the reply to
the Reply-To and ignore the CC list (IIRC the RFC is ambiguous in
this matter).  In this manner if an individual is using Reply-To
correctly (to hide the fact that they can't receive mail at their
From: address), they are also cutting the other recipients out of
the loop for replies.

Dangerous.

Conversely, if a list does do reply-to munging, this doesn't happen,
but the "proper" address for the original post is usually lost.

This is off-topic however.

--
J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw@kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder@kanga.nu