[Zope] [Newbie] SQL database support on NT

Jim Sanford jsanford@atinucleus.com
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 14:01:21 -0600

We have been running an in house (approxiamately 100 users) contact management and order process site on NT 4.0 for several months
now using Visual FoxPro as the back end database (on a different NT machine) via ODBC and have had few problems. The zope machine is
a dell P3-400 w/256megs of ram. The db machine is a generic P2-200 with 512megs of ram. They are connected through a 100mbits
intelligent switch. However both machines now have dual port 100 mbits cards and we are in the processs of using the extra port on
each card to direct connect the 2 machine.

Our application is db intensive (every sql method involves at least 1 wrapper call to determine the AUTHENTICATED_USER's access
level) Unless there is network congestion and can display an order form (2 frames each the result of 5 to 10 sql methods) in about 2
to 3 seconds. (Response is 3 to 6 times faster via browser and ZOPE than throught the VFP apps that were originallly written to 2
this. )

VFP makes a very fast backend because if you are using only indexed columns and/or expressions the it can determine the record or
records entirely from the indexes meaning it never pulls data out of  the data file till it knows exactly which records to get.
Single record lookups - even with complex queries - are almost instantaneous.

              Jim Sanford
      .       Database/Web Engineer
     / \  /   Accelerated Technology, Inc.
    /   /     720 Oak Circle Drive East
   /  /  \    Mobile, AL 36609
  / /     \   Voice: 334-661-5770  fax: 334-661-5788
 /         \  E-Mail: jsanford@atinucleus.com
              Web: http://www.atinucleus.com

 Nucleus.  All You NEED in an RTOS.  Royalty Free.