[Zope] Oedipus 0.06 released

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Thu, 02 Mar 2000 20:53:53 -0600

"Andrew M. Kuchling" <akuchlin@mems-exchange.org> wrote:

> I've made a new release of Oedipus, a Python package for presenting
> data from the Open Directory Project.
>
> http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/python/oedipus/
>
> In v0.06, The improvements to the ODP code itself are pretty minor.
> The major milestone is that, after some diligent sleuthing,
> Jean-Claude Wippler tracked down an obscure bug in MetaKit that I was
> tripping over.  A patch for MetaKit 2.0 is included in Oedipus 0.06,
> so for the first time you can actually handle a complete ODP dump.
> You'd better have 400Mb of disk space for the resulting data file,
> though, plus 500Mb for the source XML files, plus 4-5 hours of
> processing time (at least on a 550MHz Linux box).
>
> The exported ZClass product still doesn't seem to work, though; if you
> untar it in a new Zope installation, no Product is added when you
> start up Zope.  Anyone else notice this problem?

Hmm. ZClass products aren't automagically imported; when exported, turn into
zexp files, either on the client machine somewhere or in the server's
$ZOPE_HOME/var directory.  To install them on another server, on must:

  * copy the *.zexp file into the new server's $ZOPE_HOME/import directory

  * import the *.zexp file into the "Control Panel | Products" folder.

You don't have to restart the new server, either, unlike "normal" Python
products.

Unless somebody borrowed Guido's time machine and retrofitted Butch Landigan's
ZPack proposal, that is?

Tres.
Tres Seaver         tseaver@palladion.com    713-523-6582
Palladion Software  http://www.palladion.com