[Zope] Zope DHTML and XHTML : Moving things to the Client-side

Hannu Krosing hannu@tm.ee
Fri, 03 Mar 2000 12:11:46 +0200

Sin Hang Kin wrote:

> I think it worth to encourage zopelist to move more things to the
> client-side by modify a Zope fresh installation.
>
> I found out there are many things hard-coded in
> python or dtml in zope's source.
>
> There are some things which can be do better in the client side. For
> example, there were many dynamic folder tree writen in javascript which can
> be more responsible than the zope tree tag (which the change of the tree
> state require the help from server).
>
> I would like to urge zopelists to explorer the client side authoring which
> could actually give zope a dramatically change.

for better or worse ? ;)

> 1. Remove those hard-coded parameters from the source and placed them in the
> folder tree as attributes which can be modified or overwrited by manage
> interface and acquisition.

That could be good idea.

> 2. Define the basic css (which zope.org have one) as default elements with
> the fress zope install.

What would it add ? But a CSS-method or similar would be a nice addition.

Or even a general TEXT-method, with Content-type: as an attribute, so I don't
need to write <dtml-call "RESPONSE.setheader('Content-type'. .... for all
non-html methods

> 3. Make the current Zope tag comply with xml standards : they should end
> with /> or accept an end tag.

Why ? As has been revealed in several discussions before, it would be very
limiting for DTML to force compliance to XML (dtml tags inside html tags, etc)

Making it only superficially similar would just confuse people.

> 4. Collect open-source javascript codes and convert them into zope products
> (like tree).

If you could integrate it nicely with other parts of zope it would be a
welcome
addition. But I doubt it would be easy, but if you can come up with a nice
implementation, I'm sure it would be accepted in contrib.

Hannu