[Zope] banner ad system, was how much resource?

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
Fri, 03 Mar 2000 21:14:37 -0700

- wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Mar 2000, Bill Anderson wrote:
> >
> > Methinks thou art confused, but only slightly.
> me sorry, me look carefully next time.

No worries, mate.

> yes, and are you going to use sql in the future?  or just stay with zodb?  i
> would think going with sql is better in the sense that most of us have that 2G
> fs limit, and putting data in sql would help separate data from zodb.

Actually, what I am working on is abstracting that out. :)

What I _want_ to do, is to allow you to customize how you store the
dynamic data (like hits, clicks, remaing hits/click, etc.); whether it
be in an RDMS, Zope, File, whatever. I think I've got a pretty good
handle on it ... on paper (yes, I still do much of my code-writing on
paper ;)

> > >     - send statistics to clients via email
> >
> > On what kind of schedule? By request, or by cron-job type setup?
> it's actually done by cron, and i would think you can do that easily.

I was thinking of an XML-RPC cronscript, though that wouldn't work on
windows boxes(?). Perhaps the recent Scheduler product will mature
enough, soon enough.

> > So far, I believe the following are set for the next version (by
> > mid-March if all goes well):
> >
> > o Click tracking
> > o Stats (Views, Clicks, Click-through ratio, views/clicks left)
> > o Keywords
> > o Ways to avoid ZODB growth for each view/click.
> >

> i'll be waiting for this eagerly.  BTW, i'd be glad to help in any ways i can.
> a little warning tho, i'm not an accomplished programmer, i wish i were, and
> know only so much sql.  and i don't think i got good english!

Well, I can always use Guinea pigs^W^W testers ;)

--
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.