[Zope] Zope needs this (and Dynamo has it)

John Goerzen jgoerzen@complete.org
07 Mar 2000 09:26:15 -0600

Alexander Staubo <alex@mop.no> writes:

> I mean proprietary as being controlled by a private party -- owned, in a
> very liberal sense -- as opposed to being standarized. XML is not
> proprietary. DTML and Java are.

Completely inaccurate.  Proprietary software (Please, use the Jargon
file next time you look something up in the dictionary, geez) is
software which is not licensed under a Free Software license.  This
includes Java *as implemented by Sun* but NOT DTML or Free
implementations of XML.

> I'm not as knowledge about IP laws as I would like to be, so I can't
> really defend my use of this word or whether DTML is an intellectual
> property of Digital Creations. Perhaps somebody else more suited to the
> task could clarify.

Well, the issue is not really "the language".  The issue is whatever
software implements it.  Anybody can implement DTML, or Java, or XML,
or whatever, and license it however they want.  The question is,
whether this implementation is Free Software, and indeed, it is.

> If the suits in managements (assuming you work in such a place) tell you
> to go learn Dynamo because that's what they want to use, wouldn't you
> say it's a problem?

It's not Zope's problem.  It's their problem .

> I definitely believe that Python is Zope's largest problem right now.
> It's also, from a technical point of view, one of it's biggest assets --
> Zope is becoming the killer application of Python, and might eventually
> become the driving force to evolve Python, which is, I believe,
> suffering from draught into the contributor department. Skilled
> developers aren't flocking to Python to make it faster. Not right now,
> anyway.

Interesting point.  I myself prefer Perl to Python for a number of
reasons, but am nonetheless forced to learn some Python to use Zope
:-)