[Zope] Zope needs this (and Dynamo has it)

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh@pspl.co.in
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 17:21:57 +0530

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> John Goerzen wrote:
> > We specifically do not care about this :-)  Now, digicool is a company,
> > and they probably DO care about this.  Making Zope Free Software is a
> > great way for them -- and us -- to benefit.  So your comments should
> > be addressed at them if you want them to make the sale.  Not me, a
> > Linux hacker.
>
> I care about making Zope more popular, as there will be more Zope users,
> more Zope hackers, and better free Zope support. More cool Zope goodies.
> More Zope related jobs. I care about Zope marketing.

(..More Companies packaging, enhancing and distributing Zope and Zope based
products)

Yes, I care too. And for the exact same reasons. The more popular Zope becomes,
the better it is for all of us.

> Even if you only care about Free software, you care about marketing it,
> as you care about what's 'right', and therefore you want people to use
> the right stuff; Free software. Right? :)
>
> Alexander Staubo obviously was interested in Zope marketing. Why tell him
> 'we' don't do that, while some of us are definitely interested?
> Free software is about people doing what they want. Let us do want they
> want and don't speak for me. :) Thanks.

Yes. Alexander has brought up a very (IMO) relevant issue. It is in the
interest of the entire community to make Zope well known and I feel marketing
should not be left just for DC to take care of.

I see a number of articles/sites about 'app servers' which don't mention Zope
but mention others (including some mickey mouse servers I've never heard of).
Eg: http://serverwatch.internet.com/appservers.html
Why? Maybe Zope isn't talked about at all outside some circles?

Altavista shows about 1058 pages linking to zope.org (compare php.net:12,000 ;
apache.org:60,000). Why?

If nobody does anything, this will take time to change. If we want this to
change faster, all of us have to actively market Zope. This involves talking
about in appropriate newsgrousps, putting up zope webpages,
making Zope easier to learn and use, adding flashy features etc.
All this can make a whole lot of difference.

Shalabh