[Zope] FYI: large files & linux.

Oleg Broytmann phd@phd.russ.ru
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 12:39:59 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> Still it would be sensible to do it by splitting the database file (say at
> 1M boundaries rather than supporting some obscure non-standard system calls
> that only few platforms support. Probably also one-day hack by someone
> who knows where to start digging.
>
> At least this is how it was solved for PostgreSQL .

   If you remember, it wasn't done in a day. There was a long period of
bugs, esp. bugs in VACUUM.
   I wouldn't buy your idea of easy splitting Data.fs. Exactly like with
the VACUUM, packing Data.fs would be complex task if the data will be
splitted across multiple files...

Oleg.
----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd@phd.russ.ru