[Zope] FYI: large files & linux.

Hannu Krosing hannu@tm.ee
Wed, 08 Mar 2000 15:01:46 +0200

Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > Still it would be sensible to do it by splitting the database file (say at
> > 1M boundaries rather than supporting some obscure non-standard system calls
> > that only few platforms support. Probably also one-day hack by someone
> > who knows where to start digging.
> >
> > At least this is how it was solved for PostgreSQL .
>
>    If you remember, it wasn't done in a day. There was a long period of
> bugs, esp. bugs in VACUUM.

The claim of "a days hacking" was meant as an ironic counterclaim to it being
a day's job on *BSD

>    I wouldn't buy your idea of easy splitting Data.fs. Exactly like with
> the VACUUM, packing Data.fs would be complex task if the data will be
> splitted across multiple files...

I would suggest it by implementing a file-like HugeSplitFile class and
using that to hide all the splitting from all other layers.

If we could implement it in python then it would be perhaps a 1-hour job,
leaving the rest of the day for fixing up the parts of zope interfacing
with it ;)

It would probably consist mostly of adding long() to some initialisation
functions.

Hannu