[Zope] Finding crash information

Patrick Phalen zope@teleo.net
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 10:43:16 -0800

Is there a chance all three of these instances are GUF related?

[Jon Prettyman, on Thu, 09 Mar 2000]
:: I'm having a serious problem with my Zope server running in
:: production.
::
:: Platform: RedHat Linux 6 (2.2.12-20 kernel)
::           Python 1.5.2
::           Zope 2.1.4
::           starting with: python z2.py
::                          as root/nobody on port 80 straight ZServer
::
::
:: Under load (not too heavy, but busy) the Zope process SILENTLY stops.
:: I get no traceback info anywhere that I can see.  Nothing to
:: stdout/stderr, nothing in Z2.log.
::
:: If I start as: python z2.py -Z '' to prevent the fork and detach I
:: still get no message when the crash occurs.
::
:: I can't run this in DEBUG mode because I'm using GUF cookie mode to
:: authenticate and the login screen ends up showing an exception error
:: (by design?)
::
:: If anyone can tell me how to run in DEBUG mode but make GUF still hide
:: the exception error that would be a big help.

[jiva@devware.com, on Thu, 09 Mar 2000]
:: I have seen a couple of people mention zope lockups on here before and
:: I haven't seen any myself until just recently.  (I have zope on about
:: 5-6 machines and this is the first time I've seen this happen)
:: Anyway, how can I diagnose this problem?  So far I have only seen it
:: happen twice, but it was twice in the last 24 hours, and I'm getting
:: ready to roll out this app to some users.  I'm concerned!  Anyone have
:: any suggestions?
::
:: Symptoms are basically that it just stops responding.  The web browser
:: seems to connect, but it never completes the connection.  Right now I
:: have it running in debug mode to see if I can catch whatever it is
:: with some console logging.  This is on an NT Server running NT 4.0

[Pavlos Christoforou, on Thu, 09 Mar 2000]