[Zope] Zope Stability Question

Cary O'Brien cobrien@Radix.Net
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:09:29 -0500 (EST)

> I'm working on a project for which Zope seems appropriate.  However, an
> outside consultant for our client claims that the major problem with Zope
> is that it requires Python, and Python is much less stable than something
> like Perl.  I haven't used Zope or Python enough to have counterarguments
> to this comment.  I don't know specifically what stability issues this
> person may be referring to, but I would like to ask for feedback on this
> persons comment.

One tiny datapoint.

I set up a small Engineering Change Request system w/ zope and
PostgreSQL 6 months ago.  It has been running flawlessly [1] ever since.
Machine uptimes are in the mid-2 digits (i.e. about every 2 months we
have to rearrange things in the lab).  Note this is a very low load
application.

As for perl/python stability, you could go back and see how often
new releases come out and use that as an argument.

-- cary

[1] Well, except for my own bugs.