[Zope] zope.org Members list

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:08:56 -0800

alan runyan wrote:

> is it me or is the Members list take FOREVER to navigate through?  and why
> would it take so long (more than minute) to go from first page of members to
> the next page?  it wasn't like this a few months ago.  is it the load on the
> server?(I tried last night @4AM to the same results)  is it the way its
> fetching and ordering members from the catalog (this definetly shouldnt be
> the problem - its only 6000 people, w/ listed boolean and alphabetizing
> results).

It doesn't use the Catalog.  It's a plain Zope folder.  This means that
the folder object, including it's dictionary of childer, is loaded into
memory every time it is accessed.  This is the inefficient part.
Folders were never meant to contain this many objects.  This is not
neccesarrily a lack, Linux directories are not that efficient either.
Try putting 6000 files in one ext2 directory and then type 'ls'.  Pack a
lunch.

What is needed is a Folder object based on a more efficient storage
mechanism, like BTree.

-Michel