[Zope] zope.org Members list

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 00:52:35 -0800

Martijn Pieters wrote:

> From: "Michel Pelletier" <michel@digicool.com>
> > alan runyan wrote:
> > >

> Actually, the Members roster is a bit more efficient. It uses caching to
> store the results. This was added only recently, before the roster was
> offline for a while because it was taking too much resources.
>
> folders, and check wether or not they are listed. From listed Folders (just
> over a 1000 now), we store the id and title in a list. This list is sorted

1000 is still too many to be efficient in a regular folder.  You're
right that a BTree is probably the way to go here.  I didn't know about
the caching efforts, it seems like you went through some hoops to come
up with a better solution.

I think that we should seriously look into or have someone in the
community look into my BTree folder efforts to come up with a better
solution.  Depending on when I wake up tommorow, I'll see if I can fix
the various bugs in BTreeObjectManager and make an alpha release.

The only big question I can think of is, should BTreeObjectManager
replace ObjectManager?  Obviously not at first, but we should maybe look
into replacing OM with a more efficient form.  Looking strictly at
performance, I don't see any reason why this should be the case.  In all
cases, a BOM should be faster than an OM.  BOM are not any less
efficient in resource consumption either, and they are written in C, not
python.  Zope's BTree implementation is also very well tested, and
written by Jim, 'nuff said. ;)

-Michel