[Zope] httpd.conf HELP! please

Sachin Shah sachin@rescomp.berkeley.edu
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 01:20:35 -0800 (PST)

Good evening. We are a student group here at University of California,
Berkeley, and for the past couple of months we have been trying
(unsuccessfully) to get Zope to work with Apache properly. (We are
Residential Computing, a group which provides connectivity and support to
the residence halls at the UC Berkeley.)

The situation is as follows:

Right now, apache has been configured to pass all requests to zope.cgi
except for our personal pages (/about/staff), which a rewrite rule is
directing to a static file system location.

Our problem lies in an internal section of our site. We call it
/internal/.

What we are having problems with is getting Apache to authenticate the
user BEFORE it redirects to /internal/ in Zope. The other snag: everything
under /internal/ is under SSL. One area where we are not certain is if the
require user authentication specs should be in LOCATION tags or DIRECTORY
tags.

In addition to advice, if you have a similar set-up we would really
appreciate a snap-shot of your httpd.conf.

I have included snippits of out httpd.conf file below.

Thanks for your help,
Sachin

=================BEGIN==================

<VirtualHost 169.229.70.158:80>
        ServerName www.rescomp.berkeley.edu
        ErrorLog /var/log/apache/error.www.rescomp.berkeley.edu
        TransferLog /var/log/apache/access.www.rescomp.berkeley.edu

        # Setup document root
        DocumentRoot "/servers/www/rescomp/docs"
        <Directory "/servers/www/rescomp/docs">
                Options FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>

        # Added for conversion to Zope
        <Directory /servers/www/rescomp/cgi-bin>
                Options +ExecCGI +FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>
#       <Location ~ "*manage">
#               AuthUserFile /opt/apache/etc/htpasswd
#               AuthGroupFile /opt/apache/etc/htgroup
#               AuthType Basic
#               AuthName Zope_is_my_friend
#               SSLRequireSSL
#               require valid-user
#       </Location>
        RewriteEngine on
        RewriteRule ^/internal(.*) /servers/www/rescomp/docs/internal$1
        RewriteRule ^(.*)/manage https://www.rescomp.berkeley.edu$1/manage
[L]
        RewriteRule ^/internal/(.*)
https://www.rescomp.berkeley.edu/internal/$1 [L]
        RewriteRule ^/about/staff/(.*)
/servers/www/rescomp/docs/about/staff/$1 [L]
        RewriteRule ^/~(.*) /servers/www/rescomp/docs/about/staff/$1 [L]
        RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization} ^(.*)
        RewriteRule ^(.*) /servers/www/rescomp/cgi-bin/Zope$1
[e=HTTP_CGI_AUTHORIZATION:%1,t=application/x-httpd-cgi,l]
        # End Zope additions

...continues....

<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
<VirtualHost 169.229.70.158:443>
        ServerName www.rescomp.berkeley.edu
        ErrorLog /var/log/apache/error.www.rescomp.berkeley.edu
        TransferLog /var/log/apache/access.www.rescomp.berkeley.edu
        SSLEngine On

[...]

 -= Sachin Shah :: Lead Marketing/Web Design =-
       -= sachin@rescomp.berkeley.edu =-
   https://www.rescomp.berkeley.edu/~sachin/