[Zope] A Suitable RDBMS?

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu@hotmail.com
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:12:47 PST

"daniel fairs" <danfair-@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I saw a posting today that MySQL was not recommended as an RDBMS for use
>with Zope. I'd like to use and external database for storing customers'
>price lists and product galleries; what (preferably free :) database would
>people recommend? What are the pros and cons of each?

My experience with SyBase is that the adapter development is
kind of slow, and only Linux platform is supported. And
currently it has some glitches with some data types (decimal
with 10 or more digits), it does not support stored procedures,
and the implementation in Zope 2.1.4 crashes when you have
date fields ending between 59 and 60 seconds (e.g: 59.23 sec).
Also, when there is database problem, the adapter very often
just hangs and lock the database out, requiring a Zope reboot.

So, SyBase in Zope is not really in great shape. I don't know
about other databases, maybe other database adapters have
problems, too. SyBase adapter is workable for me (after I
patched the problem areas), just not that great in its current
shape. It has transaction, though, which you definitely want.
The thing is, SyBase itself seems fairly solid, it's just the
Zope adapter that is still not perfect.

regards,

Hung Jung