[Zope] XML-RPC Woes

Kapil V. Thangavelu k_vertigo@hotmail.com
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 13:37:07 -0500

After getting a few private emails with questions about what i was doing
i thought i'd share what i'd learned and some code.

First an apology, i read through my original email and realized that i
was a bit to vague to really get any help, mainly because i don't
understand what i'm passing through xml-rpc to dtml methods that are
expecting Zope stuff (client, mapping, kw).

Second, what i'm doing. I'm creating an email archive in zope. i wrote
up some python code that retrieves/parses email from a pop3 server and
then inserts via xml-rpc into a zclass so that it can be archived and
cataloged. I got the whole thing working last night by passing the
parsed info in a dict via xml-rpc to an external method which
took care of adding the Zclasses in Zope, basically following the
example from this howto http://www.zope.org/Members/teyc/howxmlrpc

Third, How to do XML-RPC with Amos's patched xmlrpclib.py for
Authentication:
    1. Assuming you already have the original xmlrpc implementation from
pythonware.com installed, copy Amos's xmlrpclib.py over it (WARNING this
will basically delete the original).

    2. Fix the subclassing error. Find
	class BasicAuthTransport(xmlrpclib.Transport):
	and change it to
 	class BasicAuthTransport(Transport):

    3. Fix the import error. after the comments there are some imports
add:
	from base64 import encodestring

<dtml-with Standard_Code_Disclaimer>
all code is provided on as is basis for the purpose of an example. use
at your own risk.

Fourth. External Method Code:

	def import_mail(self, props):
		id = props['id']
	mailobj=
#netscape mangles this line
self.manage_addProduct['YourProduct'].YourZClass.createInObjectManager(id,
self.REQUEST)

	mailobj.propertysheets.YourPropertySheet.manage_changeProperties(props)
	return "Zope is Cool"

this is one of those times you just look at zope and sigh. so much power
if you know how to use it. i actually got the basis of this code from
the Zope CD that they passed out at the python conference(8). this
method is part of the archive folder called below.

Fifth. The XML-RPC call: from the python script without error checking

        self.zope = xmlrpclib.Server(YourZopeServer,
                            xmlrpclib.BasicAuthTransport(userid, passwd)

        Props = {
            'Id':Whrandom.Randint(0,1000000),
            'To':Prop_list[0],
            'From':Prop_list[1],
            'Subject':Prop_list[2],
            'Date':Prop_list[3],
            'Body':Prop_list[4]
            }
        Print Self.Zope.Test_project.Archive.import_mail(Props)

</dtml-with>

I hope this helps. if anyone has any examples of passing args to dtml
methods via xml-rpc i'd love to see them.

Cheers,

Kapil