[Zope] Lost Objects after System Crash (Zope 2.1.5 on Win32)

Rik Hoekstra rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 21:43:13 +0100

Martijn, you're right. Nobody would use Win98 on production systems. But
quite a
few people use it on their notebooks or home PCs for development, I guess.
At
least that is what I do.

If your assumption that a Windows cache problem is the reason for the data
loss, is right, that would mean that Win98 must be holding the whole DATA.FS
in
memory/virtual memory without saving for hours!

In that case it might be a good idea to warn everybody to shutdown and
restart
Zope under Windows 9x after major changes.

BTW: So far, I've never lost data when I just "killed" the Zope process. So
Windows seems to save data at least in that case ...

Joachim.

[RH]Hm, I have been developing for quite some time on an feeblish win95
machine at home, which repeatedly crashed, but I have never ever lost
committed transactions. Strange.

> This sounds like Win98 is using a write-cache that didn't get flushed to
disk
> because of the crah. IIRC, Zope forces write cache flushes, but it could
well
> be that Win98, being a client-patform, ignores that for performance
reasons.

> Then again, who'd use Win98 for production sites?

[RH]Ok, that's true