[Zope] Use of Zope for data entry intensive app re-write

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 19:15:28 -0500

I would imagine so... DC has written apps that handle intensive data
entry.. Zope gives you stuff like a security framework, a relational
database interface, a built-in object database, a document templating
language, undo, remote procedure calls from other machines, more.

But the number of "screens" your application owns isn't really enough
information on which to provide a meaningful judgment.  Does your
application require delegation of authority?  Multiple security levels?
A management interface?  Personalization?    Would it benefit you to be
able to run the app on multiple platforms without source code change?
Does XML-RPC buy you anything?  Does FTP access to the ZODB buy you
anything?

Additionally, in the end a decision should generally take in to account
to how comfortable and familiar you are with a product.  If you're new
to Zope, Python, and OO, and you're under the gun to get this project
done and meanwhile you have 7 years of Perl experience, you may want to
seriously consider using Perl.  On the other hand, if you're curious
about Zope, Python, and OO, and you want to get some experience and
you're not tied to anything else in particular, Zope starts to look
really attractive.