[Zope] Zope hanging: internal ZODB error?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 06:22:40 -0800

Please continue to CC the list on this thread.

Darran Edmundson wrote:

> Thanks for the prompt response Michel.
>
> >Update your Catalog and this will go away.
>
> Currently I don't have root access to the Zope
> machine and can't kill a runaway process - so if
> it's Friday evening and Zope needs a reboot, I'm
> stuffed until Monday morning.  Needless to say,
> I took your advice with great trepidation - and
> it worked :-)
>
> Is the problem here that my publicationCatalog
> was out of synch with the ZODB?

No.

> I really need
> to know why this happened to avoid it in
> future.

So do I.  Several people have reported this bug, but I cannot reproduce
it.  No one has been able to reproduce it or tell me how to reproduce
it, therefore, I cannot fix it.  The only thing I can tell you is that
it has to do with ZClasses that catalog themselves and that it happens
rarely and that updating your catalog allways fixes it.  I suspect it
has to do with poorly engineered ZClasses.

> I don't dare execute the dtml below
> again out of work hours when I can ask the sysadmin
> for a restart.  I'll try it again Monday and
> report back.
>
> >> <dtml-with jdl124>
> >> <dtml-with publications>
> >> <dtml-in "objectValues()">
> >>     <dtml-var id><br>
> >> </dtml-in>
> >> </dtml-with>
> >> </dtml-with>
> >
> >Hmmm... where is this method?  Is it in jd1124?
>
> Which method?

The method that contains this code.  You are probably experiencing some
sort of infinite loop.

-Michel