[Zope] Printing from Zope.....Report writer building

Jim Sanford jsanford@atinucleus.com
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:09:31 -0600

According to the documnentation for my Windows NT version of Acrobat Reader, the unix ( and I suppose the linux) version of Acrobat
Reader can print .PDF files from the command line.

              Jim Sanford
      .       Database Engineer
     / \  /   Accelerated Technology, Inc.
    /   /     720 Oak Circle Drive East
   /  /  \    Mobile, AL 36609
  / /     \   Voice: 334-661-5770  fax: 334-661-5788
 /         \  E-Mail: jsanford@atinucleus.com
              Web: http://www.atinucleus.com

 Nucleus.  All You NEED in an RTOS.  Royalty Free

----- Original Message -----
From: Felipe E. Barousse Boue <fbarousse@piensa.com>
Cc: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2000 11:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] Printing from Zope.....Report writer building

I got some replies about PDF document creation tools, both, products for Zope
or, Python made software.

All of those products actually create the PDF document and later on it has to
be "viewed" on the client PC with the Acrobat reader (or similar tool) and
printed from there. This is NOT operational since, the server is the one that
has to send the print request to the Linux spooler after the user pressed a
"print" button on his/her browser. The "to be printed" document HAS to be
mandatory printed (by law requirements) after user has filled in data,
checked for errors and hit "print" on the web form (not the browser's print
button).

Seems like a python code has to be written and kind of "intercepts" the
rendered web page with entered data (or just the plain data itself, with no
html tags)  and then sends it to the operating system print spooler.

It is coming to my mind to kind of build a "report writer" system for Zope
applications, after all this...Any comments? helping volunteers?

Thanks for all replies and help so far.

Felipe Barousse