[Zope] ANN: ZEO goes Open Source

Andrew Kenneth Milton akm@mail.theinternet.com.au
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 10:51:34 +1000 (EST)

+----[ Paul Everitt ]---------------------------------------------

| Note that what you're describing isn't really part of ZEO, it's really
| more in the realm of what is already in Zope.  Thus, if you're eager to
| add such a feature, you already have what you need.  Start tinkering
| with the transaction machinery and see how you can extend it.

Except at the ZEO level, the conflicts must have been resolved.
I only want to replicate the state of play at the ZSS end.

Otherwise I could alter ZEO to take a list of ZSSs and do a 'broadcast' and
have them all do the same work (hoping like crazy that all transactions
arrived at all servers in the same order). Then I would have n copies of the
primary ZSS. Failover from this point is almost trivial.

The other option is to get the ZSS to forward transactions in the order
IT gets them and send them to a list of servers it knows about. This is
slightly cleaner, since all of the Zope machines don't need to know
about all of the ZSSs.

The other major problem is, that if I do this work, I will be unable to
contribute it back to the project for some time (if ever). I don't really
have the facilities at home to be able to do ZEO type work, my current
employers (where I have more available resources) like OSS, but, tend to
treat it as a code repository, rather than a symbiotic relationship.

--
Totally Holistic Enterprises Internet|  P:+61 7 3870 0066   | Andrew Milton
The Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd          |  F:+61 7 3870 4477   |