[Zope] ZTables is going to die?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:09:28 -0800

Pedro Vale Lima wrote:

> >> Are ZTables a free product?
> >No.
> >> Still exists or it has just ceased to be? It is
> >> no more?
> >It still exists, in a very domant stage.  The next Zope release will
> >probably break it right out.  There's not much you can do with ZTables
> >that you can't do with the ZCatalog.
>
> So, ZTables is going to die silently?

Not necessarily.

> I don't know much about it, but
> considering the number of times I use TinyTable I would say that
> ZTables is a needed datastucture for handling larger amounts of data.
>
> Of course I understand and encourageDC to sell it as a commercial
> extension, but I have problems understanding why they don't release it
> the public if they lost interest. Anyone from DC?

Too much effort to fix it.  We don't have the time, we are working on
too many projects as it is, even discussing ZTables takes more time than
we have.

Releasing it to the public would still take time, someone would need to
maintain it, but to maintain it they'd first have to understand it, it's
complex; as complex as the catalog.  If we threw it out to the community
I suspect it would die there also.

Besides, TinyTables could be updated to support more efficient data
structures like the BTrees that ZTables and ZCatalog use.  ZCatalog + a
more efficient TinyTables is probably 99% of ZTables.

-Michel