[Zope] Zope vs Apache benchmarks

Simon Coles simon@nipltd.com
Tue, 2 May 2000 18:31:25 +0100

Hmmm... interesting results, but not quite as depressing as they may seem.

>	                 min   avg   max
>Apache/PHP total:	 31    35    40
>Zope (ZServer) total:	 42   163   293

Speaking with my business head on, these figures are close enough
that they don't matter. Zope's advantages as a development platform
and low cost of ownership mean I would happily throw more hardware at
a Zope solution to overcome any performance penalty that arises. And
that's not even considering anything that ZEO will bring to the party.

Generally we view hardware is pretty much free when compared to
people, who are quite expensive. This breaks down on *really* high
traffic sites, but there aren't that many of those around.... and if
you find yourself there, there's always solutions like Squid and ZEO
in your back pocket.

I think I'll go back to being a developer now, before the rest of my
group start asking for pay rises and/or new machines :-)

Simon

PS - don't forget Zope is fun to work on and an exciting community to
be a member of - a major attraction.
--------- My opinions are my own, NIP's opinions are theirs ----------
Simon J. Coles                                 Email: simon@nipltd.com
New Information Paradigms                  Work Phone: +44 1344 753703
http://www.nipltd.com/                     Work Fax:   +44 1344 753742
=============== Life is too precious to take seriously ===============