[Zope] Capacity Handling?

Monty Taylor mtaylor@goldridge.net
Wed, 03 May 2000 12:37:37 +0200

--------------E08007003137E6222C5A9C5A

Hello all.

I'm wondering if anyone has done something similar to something I'm
thinking about doing.

The company I work for does Business Data Analysis. Amongst the tools we
provide to our analysts is a stream of processed news articles, and
events derived from them. The events part is fine, that's not that much
data, but they also want access to the original articles and the ability
to do full-text searches of them.
I'm working on re-writing the 'event' part of things in Zope. That part
is fairly straight forward. It seems that I could also add each article
to Zope as a 'News Article.' This is done a quite a lot. Then we could
arrange and sort them, search them or do lots of things with them.

The question:
Over the past few months, we have accumulated around 2 GIGs of articles.
This trend is expected to continue. Can Zope and ZCatalog handle this
kind of load? Will the searching capabilities be shot in the ass if I
stored the articles as external files? (Does ZCatalog even know about
those things?) OR, should I stick with the articles in the filesystem
with ht://dig like we've got now, and just build the interface to
ht://dig in Zope?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Monty
--------------E08007003137E6222C5A9C5A

begin:vcard
n:Taylor;Monty
tel;cell:+31 (0)6 200 17486
tel;fax:+31 (0)20 589 5566
tel;work:+31 (0)20 589 5517
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.goldridge.net
org:Information Innovation
adr:;;Amstelveenseweg 88-90;Amsterdam;;1075 XJ;The Netherlands
version:2.1
email;internet:mtaylor@goldridge.net
title:Information Artist
x-mozilla-cpt:;0