[Zope] mod_fastcgi warning: beware the -idle-timeout !!

Tony Rossignol tonyr@ep.newtimes.com
Thu, 04 May 2000 13:56:36 -0700

I guessing you already know this but for the benefit of others the here
is an excerpt from the mod_fastcgi docs:

FastCgiExternalServer
-idle-timeout n (30 seconds)

The number of seconds of FastCGI application inactivity allowed before
the request is aborted and the event is logged (at the error LogLevel).
The inactivity timer applies only as long as a connection is pending
with the FastCGI application.  If a request is queued to an application,
but the application doesn't respond (by writing and flushing) within
this period, the request will be aborted.  If communication is complete
with the application but incomplete with the client (the response is
buffered), the timeout does not apply.

Anthony Baxter wrote:

> An unpleasant discovery today was the magic -idle-timeout option
> in mod_fastcgi. It defaults to 30 seconds - this means that any
> page that takes longer than 30 seconds to return won't be seen by
> the user, as Apache will have given up and shown an error page.
>
> mmmm, goood.

Yes very tasty in deed.

--
tonyr@ep.newtimes.com