[Zope] comparision between zope and other technologies

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu@hotmail.com
Fri, 05 May 2000 14:42:55 PDT

About a month ago I had an e-mail exchange with Jimmie Houchin on the
comparison between Zope and Enhydra. Since I have his permission, I will
repost his message here.

Java is an OK language. But it's designed by the corporate, for the
corporate.

Hung Jung

Hello,

I have kept an eye on both Enhydra and Zope for the last year or so,
Zope a little longer.

Enhydra does have some interesting stuff that Zope does not yet. Enhydra
Director which is coming out sometime will bring increased scalability
to Enhydra. XMLC does a good job of separating interface from logic.

In the end I just unsubscribed from the Enhydra list and am proceeding
full speed with Zope. Zope has got a great user community. Enhydra's is
much smaller and quieter. I think both Lutris and Digital Creations are
good companies.

I don't get too excited about Java. I'll use it if I have to, not
because I want to. Python I use because I want to.

Enhydra/Java to me seems to heavy and too engineered which makes it
overly complex for web development. Zope can take a while to learn, but
once you understand it, I believe it will make your website development
much easier and powerful. After you learn Enhydra, you still have to
deal with the complexity of Enhydra/Java.

Zope comes with a much richer set of user community functionality. Zope
is stronger in delegating responsibilities. I feel that Zope's framework
is more ready to plugin into for many types of sites. Enhydra provides a
basic set of tools and then you are on your own. If I was to use Enhydra
I would have to write many of the functions Zope brings. Browse
Enhydra's site and you see very little user contributed material. Browse
Zope's and their is much. Two completely different types of communities.

Zope's main weakness is performance/scalability. The community is aware
of it and so is Digital Creations. Digital Creations has ZEO available
commercially for those who need and can afford it.

I think Python will improve performance. I think Zope will improve in
performance. Hardware continually improves in performance.

Currently this is my recipe for a high performing Zope site.
"Not tested. Just my theory."

Dual processor Zope machine.
OS and Apache on one processor.
Zope on the other processor.
OS, Apache and static content, (images, binaries, etc.) on one hard
drive (RAID array, etc.)
Zope, ZODB on another hard drive (RAID array, etc.)

The above can even be split into two machines if desired allowing for
lots of memory for caching content.

RDBMS machine
Multi-processor machine and high quality RDBMS.
Nice hard drive RAID array.

With processors reaching 1 ghz, lots of ram, and fast hard drives, I
believe a good setup like above can serve a pretty big site. If your
site needs more than the above can offer, get ZEO and another machine
for another Zope process to plug into your website.

The above is probably what I will start out with when I've developed my
site. I will be getting my development machine at home in a couple of
weeks and then it's off to the races. I look forward to being a
contributing member to the Zope community.

These are just my personal opinions. I know you emailed me directly, but
this message is free to share if you wish.

Jimmie Houchin