[Zope] Re[2]: [Zope] Postgresql support on Zope

John Morton J. Atwood" <jatwood@bwanazulia.com
Mon, 8 May 2000 13:23:36 +1200 (NZST)

On Sat, 06 May 2000 14:46:12 -0400 you wrote:

 > 7 by monday this is great.  I just downloaded 6.5.3 and started hacking,
 > this thing works great.  I was afraid that postgres would be too much
 > for my little box. This is really sweet, wow odbc on Linux too, now
 > where did I put those SQL books .. :)

Have a look at Philip Greenspun's tut. at photo.net:

http://photo.net/sql/

Some notes about postgresql's documentation: It's generally good, but
quite short on examples, which would be particularly useful for a lot of
it's unique abilities and idiosyncroses. Some features are woeully
underdocumented (arrays, for example), others make claims about support
for features that don't actually work (rules that activate on a particular
column of a table, specified as table.column, aren't supported in
practice). Most of the time, you can work around these problems, though.

And don't bother using pg_sql for stored procedures as it's a nightmare to
debug. You'll get their more quickly with the embedded tcl interpreter
(and I hate tcl...).

Questions for the list:

What's the status of the python/zope postgresql drivers? I recall someone
saying that it was behaving as a 'level 2' adapter, unlike the oracle
adapter with is a level 3 or something. What's the difference? What do we
need to do to get it up to level 3?

Does anybody know of a module for postgresql to embed python to use for
stored procedures? Anyone what to write one :-)

John