[Zope] MySQL - PostgreSQL - ZODB

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Mon, 8 May 2000 13:26:16 -0400

> It is also my understanding that Zope, when it is capable of using an
> SQL database as its primary storage, will not be tied to any specific
> database type.

This is true.  I've been developing against Interbase as of yesterday,
but it's pretty trivial to make a RelationalStorage work against any SQL
database (if it supports transactions).  I started with MySQL (because I
already had it on my machine), but it's almost impossible to guarantee
data integrity using it.  However, Oracle, Interbase, Postgres, Sybase,
etc. should handle it fine.

Those interested may want to check out
http://www.zope.org/Members/jim/ZODB/RelationalStorage.  There's a
design there and a (very, very broken) implementation (in the off chance
that you happen to get it actually running, do NOT try to use it to
actually run Zope on an actual honest-to-god server).  I could use any
comments folks have to offer.