[Zope] ZODB replication on a per-object basis?

Brad Clements bkc@murkworks.com
Tue, 9 May 2000 17:14:24 -0500

I have a project in mind where I'd like to have 2 or more Zope
installations selectively replicate other Zope server's objects (a sub-set
of objects).

I've looked at the write-up for ZEO, and that doesn't really seem to fit the
bill.

Imagine a master Zope site running some application, perhaps
ZDiscussions, Wiki or Confera (just an example). Suppose that dial-up
users want to sync their copies with the master server on a periodic
basis, but not sync the entire zope site. (say, a list of folders and
subfolders, and meta types).

Now suppose that these client-copies also have data to contribute, that
needs to be sync'd back to the master. Disregard the issue of two
clients changing the same object.. I'm thinking about general replication
of a subset of objects in folders from one system to another...

The Coda file system has a disconnected mode.. If I had a Code-FS
implementation, this might work except that I'd be missing meta info.

Has anyone thought about this problem?

I also need to tackle the same issue for database replication..
Replicating changed rows between systems to keep them in sync.
That's another story.

Thoughts?

Brad Clements,                bkc@murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
netmeeting: ils://ils.murkworks.com               AOL-IM: BKClements