[Zope] heirarchical diretcory based on zcatalog

Jonathan Cheyne jonathan@home-all.org.uk
Thu, 11 May 2000 14:45:34 +0100 (BST)

Hi all. Bin rooting around trying to find something and can't so I thought
i'd ask here - see if it's been done already.

I like the idea of the ZTopics in the PTK but would like the Topic to
generate subtopics automatically from other keywords found in all
catalogued objects containing the parent keyword. So, for eg, if the
parent was 'drugs' and there was an object with the keywords 'drugs' and
'abuse' then there would be a subtopic of 'abuse' automatically listed
somewhere on the page. This would be a link to the same page only now the
parent is both drugs AND abuse and will display any further categories.
This way there will never be 'empty' categories and no need to add them
manually if a new category is inadvertently added (when creating a
document).

Does this make sense? Should I be talking to the PTK list? My problem is
simple that I cannot get my head round the dtml required to do this and
cannot seem to find an example to crib from ...

Any help here?

Here is my logic:

The user types a word into a field and hits enter - this become the parent
word.

1. Find a document in the catalog with keyword = parent and type =
definition and render its index_html. (I can do this bit)

2. Find in the catalog all documents with keyword = parent and produce an
unique values list of all other keywords.

3. display in various 'slashboxes' all items with the keyword = parent.
Ie a box with links to news anothe woth links to events etc.

This way there will be an over all view of the word with the option to
'drill down' reducing the number of displayed links each time (because
they now are filtered on both words.

Homelessness is a very broad field - the list of poteential subtopics
generated in a user-contributed site would be extensive so I am trying to
create a quasi-knowledge management interface without to many limits.

Advice and flames gratefully received

Jonathan Cheyne
IS Manager
National Homeless Alliance