[Zope] Zope/XML futures?

Nigel Head Nigel Head <nhead@houbits.com>
Fri, 12 May 2000 07:33:53 +0200

/DELURK

Greeting to fellow travellers in the Kingdom of Zopremia!

I've started playing with the XML capabilities of Zope and I'getting quite
excited! A few wierdnesses (mainly involved in writing to the DOM) but
generally looks great!

I remember a while back DC said there was a (plan for a?) cooperation with
FourThought to incorporate 4DOM - I understood this to be as a replacement
for XMLDocument. Can anyone give a road-map for this work (both technical -
what sort of changes should we be expecting etc? as well as schedule wise)?
It would be nice to have a vague idea of the future route before I do too
much that may have to be discarded later.

Lastly - somewhere along the line the XMLDocument (I'm using a6 with 2.1.6)
has lost the capability to fully support finding components into a Catalog
as demonstrated in the XML.com article by Amos --  "Eval" and friends seem
to have gone missing;  I assume that at some time XMLDocument must have been
inheriting from DTMLDocument.  Not a disaster but mildly irritating all the
same.  I'm not yet confident enough of my knowledge of the Zope architecture
to know what would be involved in getting this functionality replaced; the
obvious solutions of putting DTMLDocument back at some point in the
hierarchy have all kind of backfired on me and I'm somewhat confused and
groggy from the attempts.

Regards,

Nigel Head
nhead@houbits.com