[Zope] wanted: RPM for dual install of Zope & Python

Ron Bickers rbickers@logicetc.com
Fri, 12 May 2000 17:42:31 -0400

> On Thu, 11 May 2000, Ron Bickers wrote:
> > Here is one of probably many places to get recent RPMs of Python:
> >
> > http://www.redhat.com/swr/i386/python-1.5.2-13.i386.html
> >
> > I'm running the Python RPM and Zope RPMs and all works wonderfully.
>
> At least one of the products (not sure which, because I've glanced at
> several) says in its install that python from RPMs isn't built with
> threads, and threads are req'd, so you have to build python from
> source.   I can't tell if that applies only to the specific product,
> or the remarks are directed at all Zope operations.

Zope itself does need Python with threads.  Although it's certainly true
that a binary RPM may not have been compiled with threads, I did check the
spec file from Red Hat's RPM above and it does have --with-threads, so the
binary RPM will work.

To be absolutely sure, you could get the source RPM, check the spec file and
build the binary RPM yourself with a single command.  This is the way to use
your own build options for Python and still use RPM.

Ron Bickers
Logic Etc, Inc.
rbickers@logicetc.com