[Zope] Clarification needed: CGI and ZServer

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Mon, 15 May 2000 12:26:09 +0100

Hi all,
I'd like to clarify my knowledge of Zope serving.

I run several Zope sites, some with Apache (using pcgi), some with
ZServer on it's own. In addition, I also run some Zope sites using
Roxen as a front end (again using pcgi).

Am I correct in assuming that if I use Zope through the CGI
interface, it *forces* ZServer to run single threaded?
This from Ansers' excellent How-To on combining ZServer with Apache
at http://www.zope.org/Members/anser/apache_zserver

>The existing How-To's for combining Zope with the popular Apache
>server mostly require you to use the CGI interface to Zope, instead
>of the much faster, multithreaded ZServer. This incurs a big penalty
>in startup overhead for each run of the CGI, and it forces single
>threading of the Zope database.

I'm aware of the benefits of using Apache for serving static
materials, but my Zope sites have very little static material now.

Is my reckoning correct? Is there anything I can do about it?

As an aside, has anyone managed to get Ansers' HowTo to work with Roxen?

many thanks
tone.
------
Dr Tony McDonald,  FMCC, Networked Learning Environments Project
http://nle.ncl.ac.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 222 5888
Fingerprint: 3450 876D FA41 B926 D3DD  F8C3 F2D0 C3B9 8B38 18A2