[Zope] SQLSession vs FSSession for ultra-high scalability and speed.

chas panda@skinnyhippo.com
Sun, 21 May 2000 08:17:06 +0900

Hi Folks,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can anybody
advise on FSSession vs SQLSession for:

a) Speed.
b) Scalability.

Planned architecture employs multiple Zope/Apache
frontline servers:

+-----+
+-----+   |

+-----+   |
+-----+   |      |
          |------|
+-----+   |      |
| Z/A |---+      +----- DB2 (optional)
+-----+   |

      Etc, etc.

Z/A = 'front line' webservers running Zope/Apache.
      Contains application/business logic.
      We are NOT using the ZODB for data storage.

DB1 = Data storage. eg. Oracle/Postgres

DB2 = potentially just for managing the sessions, if
      we use SQLSession. Would MySQL be best ?

Just how scalable can it really get ? We need it to at least
be able to scale to 12 million sessions per day (and substant-
-ially more writes to DB1 per day), even if we will be starting
out much more modestly than that.  Realistically, should I be
looking at something like ATG Dynamo instead ?

Thank you very much,

chas