[Zope] Header/Sidebar question

Curtis Maloney curtis@umd.com.au
Wed, 24 May 2000 10:42:37 +1000

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Luis Cortes wrote:
> Hi Curtis,
>
> 	You provide this sample code a long time ago.  I have a question about
> it.   I really am sort of new at Zope and HTML, and I was wondering ...  Do the
> side bar and header "stick (stay on the screen)" even when you click to a new
> page on your web site.  If the answer is yes, how does your code accomplish
> this.  If not, what is it that you have to do "every time" someone selects a
> new link on your website.

Erm.. well, since this is in the standard_html_header, it is included at the
start of all DTML documents, unless you remove the
<!--#var standard_html_header--> that is put in by default when you create a
DTML document or method.

So, technically, no, it does not 'stay', but is generated for each page.  This,
however, is an advantage, since it allows the index at the top, and information
at the side, to be updated simply, instead of having to deal with complex
frames targets stuff.

> Thanks for any help you can provide.

Not a problem.  Also, I didn't document this entirely in my first post,
neglecting to mention a couple of things that would be aparent to experienced
Zopistas, but not to newbies.  In the side-bar, there is the option to include
extra text on a per-folder AND per-document basis.

> >>         <hr size="1" width="80%">
> >>         <dtml-var side_bar>
> >>         <hr size="1" width="80%">
> >>         <dtml-if sub_bar>
> >>           <dtml-var "_[sub_bar]">
> >>         </dtml-if>

This means that 'side_bar' will be rendered at this point, and if there is an
attributed of 'sub_bar', the object it names will also be rendered.

--
Have a better one,
	Curtis.

<dtml-var standard_work_disclaimer>