[Zope] RE: [Zope-Moz] Good news for Zope/Mozilla efforts!

David Ascher DavidA@ActiveState.com
Wed, 24 May 2000 10:22:26 -0700

> Ah good! It's good to see David Ascher can now work more in the
> open on this.

Indeed.  I've been chomping at the bit!

> Integrating other scripting languages in Mozilla was considered
> tricky if not
> impossible, but I believe that switching the DOM to using xpidl is helping
> here. I have no idea how long this is going to take to do however.

There are two levels of integration of other scripting languages, one easier
than the other.  We'll be tackling the ability to make XPCOM components in
Python and Perl first.  This doesn't allow the use of those languages in a
XUL file, however, as that requires architectural changes to the Mozilla
core.  We will be working with Netscape to solve that problem as well, but
not in the short term.  Nevertheless, I think you'll be pleased to see what
can be accomplished with Python and Perl components...

-- David Ascher
   Activestate
   www.activestate.com